Columbia Montour Snyder Union
Counties of Central Pennsylvania
Service System


Mental Health
Developmental Services
Drug & Alcohol
Early Intervention
Crisis / Emergency
Provider Information
Consumer Information
Family/Caregiver/Supports Info
Employment Opportunities
Office Locations
Other Links


Central Susquehanna Valley
Local Interagency Coordinating Council




Services are available for any child or adult who meets the criteria for a diagnosis of Intellectual Disability. The individual must reside in Columbia, Montour, Snyder or Union County to begin the enrollment process. Consent for services must be obtained from the individual or family/guardian of a minor.

Anyone interested in making a referral or a general inquiry about supports and services for individuals with an intellectual disability should contact the CMSU Developmental Services Office at 570-275-6080 or 1-800-451-9720.

When making a referral, you will be asked to provide basic information about the individual. This information will include: name, parents' names if a minor, address including county of residence, date of birth, living situation, education, reason for referral, and review of eligibility.

Intake Meeting. The next step in the process is the intake meeting. This is the first face-to-face contact with the Intake/Eligibility Reviewer, a representative of the Administrative Entity, after the referral call. This meeting can occur at the CMSU office located at 1605 Bloom Road Suite 1, Danville, or any location of the person's choice. More often than not, this meeting occurs at the individual's home. At the intake the supports coordinator will gather financial, personal, medical, vocational, and educational information to learn about the person's current situation. Historical information will also be used to determine eligibility for services. The Intake/Eligibility Reviewer will obtain written permission to request information from other sources such as the person's physician, educational program, etc.

Eligibility. An individual's eligibility for services must be established through documents generated by qualified professionals that support the criteria set forth by the Office of Developmental Programs for a diagnosis of intellectual disability. These documents include a standardized general intelligence test, an assessment of adaptive skill areas and evidence that the intellectual disability originated during the developmental period. If these documents cannot be obtained from other sources, then the intake/eligibility reviewer will arrange an evaluation with a licensed psychologist.

Supports Coordination. Once eligibility has been established, the individual/family will be offered choice of a supports coordination entity. A supports coordinator will be assigned to work with them to identify needs and develop an individualized support plan. The supports coordinator will help locate resources for the supports and services identified in the plan, and monitor services that are being provided.

An ongoing relationship develops between the supports coordinator and the individual/family. The supports coordinator meets regularly with the individual and the family to assess the individual's/family's level of satisfaction with services, ensures that services provided in the individual's plan continue to meet the person's needs, monitors service outcomes and quality, and monitors the individual's health and well-being.

Funding Options. The supports coordinator will discuss the various funding options that are available both public and private. A PUNS or Prioritization of Urgency of Need will be completed whenever funding is needed to meet the service needs identified in the individual support plan. The waiting list is done by priority so there is no way to say how long a person will be on the waiting list. While most services are provided at no cost, some services require the completion of a financial determination by the County Assistance Office. Supports coordination services are provided at no cost to the individual or family. Individuals with Medical Assistance will have supports coordination services billed to their ACCESS card. Services obtained outside of CMSU may have co-pays as per insurance or Medical Assistance policies.



Home | HIPAA | Public Meetings | Contact Us | About Us | Disclaimer